On our recent visit to the Apple Isle we focused mainly on historic cars and bikes. However, we did come across some very interesting trucks.
At Pearn’s Steam World in Westbury we discovered this 1925 Dodge fire engine that was originally one of the vehicles serving with the Oatlands Fire Brigade.
When a local, Doug McLachan owned the Dodge it was driven across the Nullarbor, during a vintage rally and was shipped to New Zealand for an event.
Also at Pearn’s was pair of old heavy trucks: a Leyland Terrier and a GMC 4×4 ex-army truck.
We came across a rare 1928, 2.5-litre, 16hp, four-cylinder, side-valve Manchester that formed part of the exhibits at the Beaconsfield gold mine museum. (The mine was made famous by the 2006 collapse that killed one miner, but trapped two others, who were rescued two weeks later.)
The Manchester was elevated, literally, above a floor display of historic mining machinery. You can read more about Manchester in our Truck Brands section of this website.
While checking out the petrol Louisvilles working in the R Stephens Tasmanian Honey operation in Mole Creek – check out the story in the Working Vehicles section of this website – we discovered that R Stephens director, Ewan Stephens, also had a wonderful restored truck and car collection.
This 1929 Model A Styleside pick up was restored by Ewan back in 2016, with bodywork by Fred Schenk. The only deference to reliable running was a Weber carburettor.
Another labour of love for Ewan and his mates was this LHD 1959 F100, powered by Ford’s first overhead-valve V8. Elite Crash Repairs did the amazing bodywork and paint.
Ewan’s 1973 F350 was originally purchased by the Tasmanian Fire Service and then sold to a local farmer. It was then sold to Doug Mason, of Sheffield and was brought to Ewan for some mechanical work. When Doug passed away, he left the Ford to Ewan in his will.
In Devonport was this superb, original Mack Metro-Liner, recently retired from local delivery work with Tolls. It had only 134,000km on the clock.